Release Notes V-Cube & V-Cube+ 6.9.6
Collax V-Cube / Collax V-Cube+
Install Update within Cluster
Please read the following release notes carefully, before continuing. When installing this update on a Collax V-Cube+ cluster the following steps have to be performed:
/ Important information
Please have a look at the Collax V-Cube 6.9.0 Release Notes if the nodes have Version 6.8.28 or above and haven’t been updated yet. For updates below 6.8.22, it is necessary that both nodes are set in maintenance mode simultaneously.
- Click at High Availability within the Dashboard.
- Select the other (not the local) V-Cube+ node and change into the Start Maintenance dialog.
- Now, put this other node into maintenance mode by confirming the query in the dialog. Wait until the maintenance mode is reached. Depending on the number of virtual machines and hard disk, this can take some time. Virtual machines will be migrated live, which can take a few minutes depending on the size of the RAM. The progress will be displayed in the list of background activities.
- Close the dialog.
- In the list of nodes, select again the other node whose software is to be updated by right-clicking it.
- Change to System Update ….
- Click Check for Updates. The completion will be displayed as “100%”.
- Click Download and Install. This function will download the latest software packages from the update server and install them. The completion will be displayed as Install - 100%.
- A new kernel is going to be installed. The node will automatically be rebooted two minutes after the installation of the system update. This wll be indicated upon completion of the update procedure. Wait for the node to reboot.
- Close the dialog and set the node to active.
- Please repeat this procedure for the local node.
New in this Version
New Add-on module - Collax V-Transfer
With this version, the new add-on module “Collax V-Transfer” is available. It gives administrators more flexibility in handling the VMs and increases scalability when the Collax V-Bien, Collax V-Cube and Collax V-Cube + interact. Because Collax Transfer provides functions transferring VMs between the products.
With just a few clicks of the mouse, it is possible to transfer a VM directly between two Collax V servers or the storage type and change other properties prior to transfer. Before the transfer starts, there is a detailed check, whether the VM can be operated on the other side instead. Actions that affect the smooth transmission and errors during the transfer are prevented or intercepted. Together with Collax Central, the operation significantly increased by Collax virtualization solutions. A transfer can be conveniently initiated via the dashboard.
Virtualization: eSAN metadata
When configuring the size of an eSAN (DRBD), the specified value was used for the data including the metadata. This does not correspond to the expected behavior of being able to use the specified size for the memory completely for the data. With this update, the fully configured memory for the data is now available.
System Management: Linux Kernel 4.9.236
This update installs Linux kernel 4.9.236.
Issues Fixed in this Version
Security: Important security relevant System Components
This update will also install/update the following important system components:
CVE-2020-13765 CVE-2020-15863 CVE-2020-12829 CVE-2020-14364 CVE-2020-16092 CVE-2020-8608 CVE-2020-13754 CVE-2019-14563 CVE-2019-14586 CVE-2019-14558 CVE-2019-14587 CVE-2019-14559 CVE-2019-14575 CVE-2019-14559
Virtualization: Console screen resulted in a process being busy
Clicking on the icon in the column of the virtual machines (VM) opens the screen console of the corresponding VM in a separate browser tab. Due to an error in the noVNC software used in this context, the call could lead to a load on one of the processes involved. With the use of noVNC v1.2.0 whitin this update, the behavior is corrected.
Hardware: Changed partition scheme for new installation since version 6.9.0 / Important
when replacing a node
If one of the nodes is defective, it can simply be exchanged via the “Add New Node” dialog. Due to a changed partition schemes take a few things into account.
- Both nodes should have nearly identical hardware equipment - Both nodes must have the same version - An additional 10 GB of free space must be available on the storage volume “default” if the version of the existing node at installation was older than 6.9.0. Under “Virtual Disks” click on “Storage Volumes”, then right click on the storage volume “default” and check the free space specified under Size.
Misc: Windows Setup notes Error Message 0x80300001
If Windows Server 2008 R2 and above is to be installed on Virtio hard disks using the Virtio driver CD for Windows, Windows reports the error code 0x80300001. The error message occurs if the partitions are recognized and the user clicks the button Next. The message means, that the installation CD of Windows needs to be inserted again.