Release Notes V-Cube & V-Cube+ 6.1.12
Collax V-Cube / Collax V-Cube+
Install Update within Cluster
Please read the following release notes carefully, before continuing. When installing this update on a Collax V-Cube+ cluster the following steps have to be performed:
Note: If starting the update from 6.1.8 to 6.1.10 no down time of the running virtual machines or applications is required.
- If the nodes have the version 6.1.8 or prior: Please read the appropriate notes for that release including the documented procedure first.
- The software packages can be downloaded whithin a running Cluster to prepare the update and minimize the planned downtime. Go to the local administration of each node and access the form System Operation → Software → Systemupdate. Then click Get Package List. This will download the list of available update packages. The successful update of the package list is indicated by the message Done!. Click Get Packages. If the packages are downloaded successfully then the message Done! will be displayed.
- Put one node into standby mode. Go to Status/Maintenance → Cluster Nodes and execute the action Standby. Please wait until the cluster resources are stopped or the VMs are migrated.
- Now, put this node into maintenance mode. Go to the dialog Status/Maintenance → Cluster Services and stop the service HA Cluster for this node.
- Click Install within the dialog Systembetrieb → Software → Systemupdate to install all update packages. The end of this process is indicated by the message Done!.
- If a new kernel is going to be installed the system will be rebooted automatically after installing the update. An appropriate note will be shown. Please wait for the reboot in that case.
- Start the service HA Cluster on the node that has been updated. Please wait until the service ist started and information about Cluster Resources are available before you proceed with the next step.
- Once the service HA Cluster has been started resume the node by using the action Set active within the dialog Status/maintenance → Cluster Nodes .
- Afterwards check the status of the eSAN-disk synchronization in the form Cluster Administration → Virtual Hard Disks. Do not continue with the next step until the column Status shows 100% or OK for all eSAN disks.
- Please repeat this procedure from step 2 on the next node that needs to be updated.
Install Update on a Collax V-Cube
To install this update on a Collax V-Cube without a Cluster interconnection please follow these steps:
- Please read this document before proceeding to the next step.
- In the administration interface go to System → System Operation → Software → System Update and then click Get Package List. This will then download the listed update packages. The successful update of the package list is indicated by the message “Done!”.
- Click Get Packages to download the software packages.
- Click Install. This action installs the update. The end of this process is indicated by the message Done!.
- A new kernel is going to be installed. The system will be rebooted automatically after installing the update. An appropriate note will be shown once the update process is completed.
- If the server is updated and booted the virtual machines can be started again.
New in this Version
Misc: Linux Kernel 3.10.49
This update installs Linux kernel 3.10.49. It fixes an issue with the futex system call. It refers to
Misc: Important System Components
The following important system components will be installed with this update.
- Cluster Engine CoroSync 1.4.7
- Distributed Lock Manager Library libdlm
- eSAN Storage Replication
- Intel CPU Microcode Update 20140624
- Data Synchronisation rsync
- SQL-Database MySQL 5.5.38
- Backupsoftware Bacula
- OpenSSL 1.0.1.h
- GnuTLS-Library GNUTLS-SA-2014
- Component job-notify
Issues Fixed in this Version
Virtualization: Shutdown Of An Linux VM With Ancient Kernel
If a virtual machine was shutdown through the management dialogue of the Cluster it could happen that the virtual machine didn’t switch off. Mostly VMs with old kernels (up to version 3) were affected. With this update this is fixed and a patch is being implemented. You can now switch off previously affected VMs.
V-Cube+: High Systemload
If the Cluster Interconnect was interrupted for a short time, this could lead to a high system load. In the meantime it was not possible to access the Cluster Share and the system log file was full of messages. With this update this is fixed and a patch is being implemented.
V-Cube+: Config Objects Not Available After Renaming
If an object like a virtual hard disc, a group, a network or a host in the cluster domain is being deleted and added again in different spelling, this could lead to a failure. Within this update, this is being fixed. Hard discs and hosts can now be added in small- /capital-spelling.
V-Cube+: eSAN Disks Not Available
It could lead to problems when a newly created virtual hard disc has been added. The synchronisation could fail under certain circumstances due to a wrong port assignment in the software. This update resolves the issue by assigning a unique port to each virtual hard disc.
V-Cube+: eSAN Disk Were Suspended Temporarely
In case of a defect and an automatic fencing event, it could occur that some of the virtual hard discs were not usable for a short time. This mostly happened in large environments with many virtual hard discs. With this update several patches are being implemented to optimize the internal storage subsystem together with the Cluster Resource Manager. After a fencing event, all virtual hard discs are available.
V-Cube+: Restart of VM after Backup
When using many virtual machines in a Cluster with 64 GB RAM or more, this could lead to a timeout and restarting virtual machines under certain circumstances. This is going to be corrected with a patch and a higher timeout for the Cluster Ressource Manager in this update.
Virtualization: Number of CPU Sockets for VMs with Windows Server 2012/Windows 8 and 2012R2/8.1
The number of cpu sockets for virtual machines with the operating system Windows Server 2012/Windows 8 and 2012R2/8.1 must be set to one. Otherwise the installation will stop with a blue screen. The number of CPU cores may be set higher than one.
Misc: Windows Setup notes Error Message 0x80300001
If Windows Server 2008 R2 and above is to be installed on Virtio hard disks using the Virtio driver CD for Windows, Windows reports the error code 0x80300001. The error message occurs if the partitions are recognized and the user clicks the button Next. The message means, that the installation CD of Windows needs to be inserted again.