Release Notes CSG 7.0.18
Collax Security Gateway
To install this update please follow the following steps:
- It is highly recommended to backup of all server data with the Collax backup system before proceeding. Check that the backup was successful before proceeding with the update (this can be done within the backup information email).
- In the administration interface go to System → System Operation → Software → System Update and press Get Package List. This will download the listed update packages. If successful the message Done! will be displayed on the screen.
- Click Get Packages to download the update packages.
- Click Install. This installs the update. The end of this process is indicated by the message Done!.
- A new kernel will now be installed. The system will reboot automatically after installing the update. An appropriate note will be shown if the update process is completed.
Issues Fixed in this Version
Security: Meltdown and Spectre - Serious processor security hole
Security researchers have discovered massive security holes in processors that were developed by security experts These holes were published under the name Meltdown or Spectre. Meltdown is the vulnerability, that allowed unprivileged processes the reading of kernel memory. Spectre is the security hole that exploits that CPUs execute many commands speculatively in advance, resulting in memory areas, that can be tapped. This update installs a kernel in version 4.4.110, with Kernel-Page-Table Isolation Implementation (PTI). This will create a kernel option “CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION” enabled, which prevents kernel mapping in user mode. With PTI, a process only sees its own storage area.
More information on Meltdown and Spectre here .
E-Mail: Collax Virus Protection powered by Kaspersky prior Version 7
Version 7 of the Collax C servers has updated the anti-virus engine and the format of the patterns. This was done to respond to new threats with the best possible protection. Patterns for versions prior to 7.0.0 will be available until December 31, 2017. From 01.01.2018 Kaspersky will not update the patterns for Collax version 5 and older. All installations using the Collax Virus Protection module should therefore, be brought up to date.